Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Modern Day Israelite

"How long will this wicked community grumble against me? I have heard the complaints of these grumbling Israelites."
-Numbers 14:27

Recently, I have been reading quite a bit in the book of Exodus. I am continually amazed at the rollercoaster of faith that the Israelites manifest. One minute they are on their faces praising God for His goodness and the next minute, they are whining about not having the fine foods that they had in Egypt and accusing Moses (and ultimately, God) of leading them into the desert just to kill them off in a more remote location.

When I read these things, my immediate response is to shake my head and wonder what in the world was wrong with these people who saw such incredible, miraculous works of God (parting the Red Sea certainly comes to mind!) and yet became so easily discouraged and frustrated by their life circumstances. Then, I hear the still small voice of God speak over me and gently point me to the truth- I am a modern day Israelite.

I have seen God do incredible things. I have known Him to heal the sick, to deliver those in bondage, minister to the hurting and broken, save the lost, and paint sunsets that take my breath away. I saw so much of His goodness and grace and joy and beauty in the people that I spent this last weekend with. Oh dear twin cities friends, how much I love you and see the work of God in and through your presence in my life!

Yet, even hours after being stunned by the goodness of God, I found myself whining about God bringing me back to Bemidji, about my dog being sick and the nursing uniform store forgetting my order, and the massive amount of homework that awaited me as I journeyed back home. I whined that I would not have time to process all that He had been doing and was, quite frankly, in a bad mood about the whole thing.

Once I arrived home, I was undeservingly greeted by a sick, but still exceedingly sweet puppy dog, my wonderful parents, homework that was accomplished WAY sooner than I anticipated, a uniform that was available so I have one for clinicals this Thursday, and time to process all that the Lord did this weekend. My friends, I was humbled. Very humbled. Why was I whiny and crabby when I could have had joy and peace in the Holy Spirit and chosen instead to believe God to move in and through my circumstances??? Where was my faith?

I'd like to say I'll learn this lesson for good. Maybe I need to tape this blog post to my forehead so the next time finds me remembering what it is to live in child-like faith. All I can say is that I would have fit in all too well in that crowd of Israelites. Lord, have mercy.

1 comment:

Carley said...

I can relate, believe me!