Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Musings

It has been quite awhile since I have actually sat down and written out something of substance. It has not been for lack of thought, that I assure you. It seems as though my mind is always whirling at 100 mph. Either way, there seemed to be no better time to share some musings than in the midst of studying for a nursing test, so here we are. :-) (maybe I am slightly ADHD after all :-))

Have you ever thought about your words? I mean, really thought about your words? I've been reading through Matthew over the past month and Matthew 12:37 caught my attention.

"...For by your words you will be acquitted, and by your words you will be condemned."

I don't know about you but condemnation is certainly not something I'm after. This verse has led me to meditate on what I speak and whether it is a) worth being spoken or b) truthful, loving, and edifying for those who hear it. In other words, am I working toward acquittal or condemnation? It's a rather uncomfortable question for me- and quite frankly, one I would rather just skim over and pretend I never heard uttered into my spirit.

The truth is that we live in a society that is afraid of silence. Often times, we speak just to keep things from being uncomfortable. We can talk for 20 minutes about what the wind chill was yesterday and the current hubbub around town.

Lately, I've been doing a lot of observing and most people keep asking me if I'm tired. :-) The truth is, I'm thinking and I'm praying. I am thinking about those rare individuals I have known in my life whose limited speech leads everyone around them to stop what they are doing or saying in consideration and appreciation for the treasure that their purposefully spoken words actually are. I want to be one of those.

I must be honest, folks. I'm tired of drivel. I'm weary of talking for the sake of talking and filling silence with words that fall to the ground. I'm aiming to be acquitted. And I'm well aware that when words are many, sin is not absent. (Proverbs 10:19) So, beloved Lord, let my words be few and may the words of my mouth be pleasing in your sight. (Ecc. 5:2, Psalm 19:14)

No comments: