Those of you who know me, or have ever been around me on my birthday :-), know one thing. I'm not really a fan of surprises. Though I am counter-American culture in many ways, I do tend to be future-orientated and well... somewhat planned. :-)
Over the last couple of months, I have been planning on graduating on May 8th, planning for spending the month of June in Kolkata, India doing medical missions, thinking and praying through what my life will look like when I return to the US in July and where God will be taking me this fall. As I mentioned in the last post, I have been praying about moving to Tampa, the Twin Cities, or wherever the Lord wants. Some of the plans of recent have materialized. I am graduating- hopefully. :-) I am going to Kolkata in June- God-willing. I am coming back to the States- well, you know... maybe. I am getting a job and I'm going to live the rest of my life single, loving God and serving overseas- ummm... yeah. You get the point. It's all actually contingent on one phrase. God-willing.
The point is that for all of my Christian walk, I have had a plan. Many of them in fact. They have all seemed wonderful. There was security in my plans. I can prepare for them mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually. There are minimal surprises. Then God breaks in.
Enter Charle's. Yes, a humble, worshipful Jesus-loving man from Togo, Africa who just happens to currently be living in this part of the world and whom I just happen to be falling in love with. I have not known him long, but God has used him to change my life, my thinking, and.... my plan. The truth is that I have no idea where this will lead. I know way less than I thought I did. But what I do know is that I love the Lord with everything in me and I will follow Him wherever He leads. I know that His ways and thoughts are higher than mine and even though it's hard for a planner like me, I will lay down my plan and anxiously await the revelation of His. It'll be a heck of a lot better than mine anyway. :-)
All this to say that I've learned a great lesson recently. Nothing is a surprise to God. But sometimes He likes to surprise us just to remind us that we are not Him and our plans pale in comparison to His. I don't know where this plan leads or ends. But I know the one who I follow and I believe that His promises are true:
"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)
In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. (Proverbs 16:9)
So thankful this day that the steps He determines are purposeful and filled with hope. What a wonderful God we serve.
1 comment:
One Month and no blogging...Hmmm, love and schoolbooks must have kept you busy these last few weeks! :)
Post a Comment