Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Clock is Going TOO Fast!

There is one thing in my life (besides the Lord Himself) that has remained consistent through the years... good-byes. I must confess that I loathe them with every fiber of my being. I have yet to understand how you can love people deeply and not feel like a part of your very heart is ripped out every time you say good-bye. When I left for India, I said good-bye for a month to people that I treasure (and even good-bye for two months to a certain someone whom I have missed every day since then.... you know who you are :-)). I know it's only a month or two, but tears were definitely still shed and my heart still hurt. And now I'm facing my last 6 days in India and I'm preparing myself for that same wounding. I guess this is one of those areas where I deny myself, pick up my cross, and follow Him on the pilgrimage.

Over the last few days, I have had the tremendous privilege to get to know some very special people. In my last post, I told you I had spent the evening getting mahindi done with Sushma and her cousin Richard. (By the way, here is the picture that I promised you of the mahindi. It is typically only done on Indian brides, so I've had many nurses ask me when I'm getting married. :-) Because mine turned out really dark in color, Sush and Tenu promise me that according to their tradition, I will have a very good husband. Good to know. :-))

Pretty sweet, huh? This took a man in the middle of the street between 5-10 minutes to paint and it lasts about 2 weeks. It cost 80 cents. I'm going to have a lot more done before I come home, so you Bemidjians will be able to see it firsthand. :-)

Anyway, onward we go. After that Monday pm with Sushma and company that I last blogged about, we made plans to include my dear fellow volunteer Whitney in our plans for Tuesday pm to go shopping. We had a great time together. First of all, we went back to Sushma's apartment and I got to talk with Richard and his friend Abinoi while Sushma and Tanu got ready. Abinoi works at a call centre for HP in Kolkata so it was really fun to talk with him about how he's been trained in US geography prior to answering phones. He even knew where Minnesota was and that we have lots of lakes. Most people here ask me if Minnesota is close to New York or Los Angeles, the two places they have heard of in the US.

After we had chai and Sushma had painted our nails (only one hand though- you eat with your right hand so you don't paint the nails on that hand), we headed out. I must begin the chronicling of our adventure by simply stating that I love this culture. Everyone is so openly affectionate. Both men and women walk down the streets holding hands with their same gender friends. I, as a definitive physical touch sort, was made for this place. All this to say that Sushma grabbed my hand and Tanu grabbed Whit's and off we went on our journey through the streets in search of a cellphone for me and whatever other shopping we happened to come across. Whit and I tried on some salwar kameez at one store and got fashion advice from Tanu, Richard, and Sush. A good time was had by all.

Following the shopping extravaganza and my excitement over being in India during the release of the newest Fanta flavor- Apple, (I always have to try the different Fanta flavors in each country I visit) Whit and I took our Indian friends to a piece of America- aka Pizza Hut. They were so cute. Tanu and Richard commented on how funny it was to eat with silverware. (Most Indians eat solely with their fingers.) They were great sports though, even willingly ringing the bell as we left to congratulate Pizza Hut on their fine service. :-) We enjoyed wonderful fellowship and laughter, discussing Richard's desire to get married on Mount Everest with oxygen masks and white girls trying to dance. SO much fun.
Following dinner, we went back to the apartment, all the while making sure that we evenly shared the shopping bags. Tanu generously loaned me her extra SIM card for her cellphone so that I can use it while I'm here to communicate with her and Sushma. :-) Such giving and hospitable friends. Lord Jesus, you have so much to teach me about this kind of generousity and sacrificial love.
Tonight, Whit and I went back to their apartment to have a party with them. When we got there, we spent some quality time with Richard and Sushma's boyfriend, Sudip, while Sush got ready and Tanu and her boyfriend Manoj finished shopping. When they returned, they had bought chicken kabob, a variety of Indian snacks, and wine for the event. The giving never ends... We had a wonderful evening looking at pictures of Manoj's creations. (He's a chef in France who is originally from India and is currently back visiting Tanu... they promised me an invitation to their wedding!) Here is a picture of the festivities. (minus Richard, our ever faithful camera man)


The time with these friends has been the most precious part of these last couple of days. I have so enjoyed getting to know local people and learning about the culture by simply being their friends. I will treasure them, and these memories forever. I want to soak up every possible moment I have in their company and every opportunity I have to invest in their lives before next Wednesday when I depart for England again.

Apart from being with my friends and enjoying getting to know the other volunteers here, I have seen more surgeries (a septoplasty was the highlight- I NEVER want that done to me!) and this morning, I spent a couple of hours in the ICCU. It was a strange day. Another patient I worked with last week expired and the family of a woman that I prayed for last week came in to remove the ventilator. It was very different to see that experience happen here with 30 family members crowding the ICCU. When she was removed from the ventilator, they were allowed to wheel her down on a stretcher to the ground floor of the hospital where more relatives were waiting to see her last moments. Never quite seen anything like this before.

Erica, a student nurse from Germany, arrived yesterday and she and I are working on quickly getting a nurse education session together for nurse supervisors tomorrow and nursing staff/students early next week before I leave. It's going to be quite hectic these last 6 days, but I'm so excited for it.

In the midst of all of these life details, my testimony remains that the Lord Jesus is so good. I love Him and I love the places that following Him has taken me. I never would have guessed when I said "yes" to following Him 9 years ago that I would be in Kolkata, India right now. He is never predictable, which sometimes drives a planner like me nuts, but also makes me thankful for the mystery of blindly holding His hand and allowing Him to lead. He is trustworthy. His path may be laden with good-byes, but also beautiful places, people, and the constant company of the one and only faithful God.

No comments: