I am currently listening to the sounds of "Allah hu akbar" float through the muggy Indian air. I'm sitting at a table in the volunteer centre of Kolkata Mercy Hospital basking under the refreshing breeze of a fan and reminiscing about my days in Dar and the vast amount of sweat that the body can produce under 100+ degree temperatures.
Today has been a long day. I arrived in Kolkata at 8:15 AM (for those of you who are interested, I am now 10.5 hours later in the day than I was in Minnesota) and was so blessed to find that I actually had luggage and a ride. (both important things in my book!) The first words out of the driver's mouth were "oh, we don't have seat belts in the backseat here." Okay...perfect. Well it's a good thing they are such good, respectful, orderly drivers. (please catch my EXTREME sarcasm here!!! I'll try and post a video I took of the ride to the hospital when I'm online tomorrow!)
I must confess that I am beginning this venture on empty, so I am REALLY needing the strength and fullness of the Lord in this! I was reflecting on that very subject on my airplane ride here. I was one of only 4 non-Indians that I saw on the plane. I understand one word of Hindi. I don't really get all the cultural faux pauxs. Everytime I start a venture like this, there is a moment of fear where the uncomfortability of it all sinks in. It's no longer like being in the States or interacting with my own culture. I have no idea what to expect or how to respond to certain situations. I have no plan or even a back-up plan!!! :-) Whew... breathe. :-) It's good stretching for me.
I had a chance to have a tour of Mercy Hospital today. My first impression was so positive. The first thing you see when you walk into the building- a cross in front of you with the words "Jesus Heals". Amen. Jesus does indeed heal. And there are many around the world, myself included, who still need to know more of the touch of Jesus. I'm happy to be here as a nurse. I am happy to serve and love and do what I can. But, I do not heal. Jesus does.
After the tour of the hospital, I attended an orientation at Mother Teresa's Missionaries of Charity, but not after some adventure. Our driver dropped us off at the headquarters where Mother Teresa is buried and never informed us that we needed to walk 1/2 a mile down the street to a sister house for the orientation. After waiting an hour, we finally asked- 4 people- and one of them knew enough to tell us that information and gave us directions. Something to the effect of "see that gate. there will be one just like it down the street. turn that way and then that way and you'll see it." uh-huh. Sure we will. Needless to say, me and my two south African newbie counterparts made our way through the streets to find it along with the mixed up help of multitudes along the way. Oh, India. You know, come to think of it. Oh [fill in the blank with an eastern culture country].... Love them, but sometimes for a planner like me, let's just say it takes more patience than I have without the Lord.
I'll attempt to keep you updated more regularly now! I thank you already for your prayers for travel mercies and my time with my dear heart friend Debbie. That week was irreplaceable to me. Simply the beautiful (albeit challenging) work of God and the company of someone I deeply care about. Doesn't get any better than that.
Love to you all. Please keep praying that I would be filled anew with the Spirit daily and that the Lord would strengthen me, keep me healthy and fix my eyes minute-by-minute on Him!
No comments:
Post a Comment